Position Title: Lead Stocker
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Assistant Store Manager
Region: California Coastal
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Assists with the coordination and execution of department operations and work, and assists with grocery and dairy/frozen product ordering, inventory control and merchandising. Provides exceptional customer service and product knowledge and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
* Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
* Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
* Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
* Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
* Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
* Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
* Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
* Observes all company rules and policies.
* Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
* Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
* Engages the customer in a friendly manner and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
* Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
Position Specific Functions
* Assists in ordering grocery and dairy/frozen products according to anticipated sales and seasonal needs. Maintains appropriate inventory levels to achieve sales and margin goals.
* In absence of Buyer and Assistant Store Manager, act as a department floor operations leader.
* Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events. Plans for weekly ads, events and holidays using tools and reports. Works with Store Manager and Buyer to understand and respond to current store trends.
* Ensures all grocery and dairy/frozen areas in store are clean, attractive and easy to shop and adhere to merchandising standards.
* Builds displays and arranges department products to make attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal items.
* Maintains professional vendor relationships.
* Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
* Stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
* Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising standards.
* Ensures customer special orders are accurately placed and delivered.
* Demonstrates excellent knowledge of products throughout the department and understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions, with skills to continue learning.
* Partners with department management team to train department clerks in grocery and dairy/frozen tasks and product knowledge.
* Coordinates with store and promotions team to plan and conduct in-store tastings.
* Trains to order grocery and dairy/frozen products as needed.
* Follows company procedures for processing invoices, transfers and credits.
* Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
* Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
* Participates in inventories.
* Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
* Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
* Notifies Store Manager or Manager On Duty of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
* Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
* Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
* Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
* Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
* Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, lift/heister, pallet jack, ladder, step stool, cart, hand truck, price gun, temp gun, dishwasher, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
* Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
* Previous food service, retail or grocery and dairy/frozen experience required. Experience in a high volume environment preferred.
* Knowledge and/or experience working with bulk and floral products required.
* Visual merchandising experience preferred.
* Previous ordering/inventory management experience required.
* Basic to intermediate math and computation skills required.
* Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required. Experience with Excel and inventory software preferred.
* Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
* Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
* Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
* Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
* Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
* Skills to manage difficult customer interactions preferred.
* Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
* Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
* Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
* Medium work level
* Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required.
* Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
* Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
* Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; kneel; climb step stools
* Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
* Work occurs in a grocery and dairy/frozen store environment, which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
* There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
* Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
* This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
Associated topics: clerk, forklift, logistics, logistics agent, logistics intern, logistics support, operator night, picker, stocker, warehouse agent